To learn the theory of superconductivity and to get acquainted with applications of superconductors.
- Superconducting materials, phenomenology
- Ginzburg-Landau model
- BCS theory
- Hot topics in superconductivity research
- Applications of wires: magnets, energy transport, energy storage
- Applications of junctions: field sensors, filters, q-bits
Registration via https://www.sis.uva.nl is mandatory 4 weeks before the start of the Semester.
Lectures and homework.
- James F. Annett, 'Superconductivity, Superfluids and Condensates', Oxford Master Series in Condensed Matter Physics, Oxford University Press, 2004. ISBN 978-0-19-850756-7.
- Werner Buckel and Reinhold Kleiner, 'Superconductivity: Fundamentals and Applications', 2nd, Revised and Enlarged Edition, Wiley, New York, 2004. ISBN 987-3-527-40349-3.
Homework and written or oral examination (depending on the number of students).